One of the most popular actress of her time Rekha has completed her 62nd birthday. She was born on October 10, 1954. She does not believe in celebrating birthdays, so there will be no grand celebration. But, we cannot ignore this Bollywood actress.
She began her career back in 1966 as the child artist and then she never saw back. She acted in over 180 films over 40 years of long career. She was awarded the Padma Shri in 2010. She also won 3 Filmfare awards.
Rekha’s life was also full of struggles and she never got a good stable personal life.
Here are few lesser known facts about Rekha you probably did not know:
1. Rekha was born in Chennai to Tamil actor Gemini Ganesan and Telugu actor Pushpavalli. Both were not married at the time of her birth, so Rekha was not acknowledged by her father throughout her childhood. This was the reason Rekha faced the tough time in Childhood and lived with the poor financial state.
To support her and family, she turns to acting. She herself acknowledged having no interest in acting, but she was basically forced to work to sustain her family financially.
2. Rekha started as the child actor in the 1966 Telugu film Rangula Ratnam. In 1969, she started her career as an actress in the 1969 Kannada film Operation Jackpot Nalli C.I.D 999.
3. She began her career in Hindi movies in the same year 1969 with Anjana Safar. While shooting for this movie, Rekha was molested on camera Biswajit Chatterjee. Biswajit Chatterjee wanted a kissing scene in the movie and he decided to shoot that without even asking Rekha for that. He grabbed her forcefully for five minutes as the camera rolled. She was just of 15 and couldn’t even protest the molestation because she had no godfather in the industry.
This movie ran into censorship problems and not released until 10 years later. The movie was later re-titled as ‘Do Shikaari’.
4. Sawan Bhadon is considered her acting debut in Bollywood. She had to learn Hindi for the movie. The movie became hit and Rekha became the star overnight. But, she was often scorned for her looks.
5. Becuase of dark complexion, Rekha faced the tough time in Bollywood. She was called the ‘Ugly Duckling’ of Hindi films and this was hurting for her. So, she began transforming her and started paying attention to her make-up, dress sense, and worked to improve her acting technique and Hindi Skills.
6. She was rumoured to have been married to actor Vinod Mehra in Calcutta. It was also reported that Mehra’s mother was too angry with Vinod for having married Rekha and never accepted Rekha. She also went to assault the Rekha with her sandals. But in 2004, Rekha denied being married to Mehra in an interview with Simi Garewal.
7. She Married to businessman Mukesh Agarwal after knowing him for just a month. But, she never knew that Agarwal suffered from chronic depression and was involved with his psychiatrist ‘Akash Bajaj’. Mukesh committed suicide in just seven months after his marriage to Rekha.